Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sasuke Singapore has celebs huffing and puffing

You could say Fly Entertainment artist Bobby Tonelli received "special treatment" during the filming of Sasuke Singapore's celebrity episode back in June.

After all, the Singapore-based American actor-DJ's girlfriend, local actress Joanne Peh, is the host of the show.

Sasuke Singapore is Channel 5's new crazy, action-packed game show that pushes contestants to their physical limits through an arduous five-part obstacle

course.

A local adaptation of the Japanese series Sasuke (known as Ninja Warrior internationally), it premieres on Aug 9 at 8.10pm, after the telecast of the

National Day Parade.

The 36-year-old Tonelli and Peh, 29, did not bother to hide their affection for each other on the approximately 160m by 25m set at Sentosa.

The couple, who have been dating since 2009, openly addressed each other as "honey" and "dear". While Tonelli was navigating a series of slanted platforms

called the Sextuple Step and jumped from a trampoline onto a cargo net, Peh took out her smartphone to take photographs and videos.

She also energetically cheered her hunky beau on and could not keep her eyes off him.

When asked whether she gave Tonelli any insider tips on how to ace the course, Peh responded with a chuckle.

After all, she was a contestant on the Channel 8 variety series Battle@Water Margin, which saw MediaCorp artists overcoming their phobias of heights and

water as they duked it out on the wacky, wet and wild obstacle courses.

She told The New Paper: "There's nothing I can do to help him because he's the one on the course. "There's no formula for success."

She added: "I didn't want to say I was worried because I might have projected that nervousness." Incidentally, Tonelli had also auditioned to host Sasuke

Singapore, but lost the role to Peh.

Nevertheless, he did his homework for his part as acontestant.

"I studied some of the obstacles on YouTube, worked out a lot and trained myself mentally for this challenge," he said. "I think you just have to focus on

what is going on ahead of you and give it your all."

So are they still at the stage in their relationship where Tonelli has to impress Peh?

Quipped the American: "I think taking part in Sasuke is impressive enough because not everyone can do this."

Yes, even someone as well-built and physically fit as Tonelli was seen having a difficult time on the course.

While climbing up the rope ladder, his foot got tangled and he looked visibly troubled.

Also, he failed to conquer the Jump Hang obstacle and fell into the water below.

When he emerged, looking disappointed with himself, Peh hugged and comforted him, saying: "It's okay baby, I still love you."

She told TNP later: "I think he did great, although he has been very nervous for the past few days.

"I have to say, I was more nervous for the other contestants than him."

Tonelli was joined by other local celebrities such as Nat Ho, 27, Paul Foster, 31, Jimmy T, 48, Sylvia Ratonel, 24, and Koh Yah Hwee, 25.

And none of them had it easy on the course.

The sun was merciless during the shoot and they all left nursing rope burns on their hands.

Actor-singer Ho said: "My only thought was to get on the other side at all cost (for the Tarzan Swing and Rope Ladder). Only when I pressed the buzzer did I

realise both my palms had blisters and were bleeding.

"My next thought was that I cannot play Diablo 3 for a while.

"I didn't really prepare (for Sasuke Singapore). I just watched some YouTube videos and followed my normal exercise routine because I didn't have much of an

idea of what to prepare for."

Singapore Idol 3 runner-up Ratonel suffered even more severe rope burns and was seen being attended to by medical personnel at the scene.

The singer was heard gasping in pain and kept telling the medics not to "press" on her wounds.

Koh also didn't expect the obstacles to be so tough. While she was on the platform to prepare for the Tarzan Swing and Rope Ladder, the actress kept

shouting: "It is different up here!"

She added: "I exercised and did some yoga. I honestly thought it was going to be easy, but it is no joke at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment